Friday, February 27, 2009

Bluegrass of all things!

Last night I knew I wasn't cooking dinner.
I had just fixed a big pot of corned beef and cabbage two days before, and Angela had fixed a big pot of spaghetti the day before that and the fridge was already full of left overs.
So, neither of us felt like cooking anything else, and of course, no one felt like having leftovers of any kind again!
We decided to go try a new neighborhood restaurant called The Log Cabin. It's only about 10 minutes from home, and it is a small place that looked like it had a cozy family atmosphere.
Wow, talk about a total surprise....They only have about 20 tables, 25 at the very outside. There is only 6 or 7 items on the dinner menu and between the 4 of us, we tried 3 of them.
Both boys had the hamburger steak and fries, Angela had the chicken livers and I tried the country fried steak.
Every entree was well worth the exorbitantly LOW price they charged. We never thought a new place would open that wasn't trying to get rich off of every individual table. So, that was a nice surprise.
The very best surprise tho, was the free bluegrass band that was playing there. It was a real treat. As soon as I started listening, all thoughts in my head went to mom's house while we were growing up. Most weekends they had live music going. Guitars and banjos and mandolins. I believe they even had a violin or two occasionally. But the biggest image I had......was my mom out there in the middle of it all just dancing away......lol.....
Yeah, I know, ya all are probably thinking, so?
Lol.
My mom was all of 4 feet 11 inches tall and if she weighed a hundred pounds she was doing good.
Ah heck, it was just a nice surprise and it was fun to have those memories jump out at me. I loved the music then and last night. And it was always great to watch my mom "cut a rug".

2 comments:

  1. HAha! Yeah, I was as big as Grandma Alta when I was in 4th grade! That was the last time I saw her too :(.

    That's always so nice when you can find a restaurant like that. Man, the difference in our menus though! I would love to have a southern cookin restaurant up here. I would love to have some corn meal fried cat fish! You ain't gettin that here :(. Hell, I'd be happy with some damn biscuits and gravy on the MacDonalds breakfast menu! People around here don't even know what biscuits and gravy is!! It's sad really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when something like that makes a memory pop.
    And then it's like a slap in the face to realize all over again how much I miss mom.
    We had biscuits & gravy on the menu at McDonalds while I was in Colorado. In fact that was breakfast all three days of our Boom Days Festival.
    And I haven't seen it on a menu since I came east.
    It has always amazed me how many people don't know what biscuits and gravy are.

    ReplyDelete